You will definitely not enjoy working on a slow computer. Are you unable to run your programs and applications with the same speed that you used to do when your computer was new? If yes, then you have come to the right place.
Here are some proven ways to optimize your PC and make it run as a new one.
Delete Temporary Files
Windows create some temporary files such as cache files, browser history etc to help your programs run more smoothly. These files are not always needed by the computer. They are created and left, using your hard disks storages with no significant use. So it’s better for your computer if you manually delete them. Follow the steps to clear the temp files.
- Open run app (Use key “⊞Win+R”)
- Type “temp” and press “Enter key”.
- Select all the files appeared there and delete them permanently.
Uninstall Unused Applications
Your computer may contain a number of unused programs. These installed but unused programs are contributing in slowing down your PC. Filter the programs that are of no use for you. By doing this, you are releasing more free space which means better performance of your PC. Follow these steps to uninstall any unused programs.
- Go to “Control Panel > Uninstall a Program”.
- From the list of programs, select the program that you do not use.
- Click “Uninstall” and get rid of it.
Limit the apps to load during startup.
The services that run on start-up slow down the PC. These apps keep eating precious memory and processing power. This will save precious RAM memory, increasing the startup speed. Follow these steps to disable the services loading during start-up.
- Go to the “task manager”.
- Choose the “Startup” tab.
- Disable all the applications which you don’t wish to load automatically when PC opens.
Update windows when upgrades are available
Updating windows will really boost your PC’s performance. Windows often provide the system as well as application upgrade to run the PC smoothly. Follows the steps below to find the updates available and upgrade your PC.
- Go to “Settings > Update and Security”.
- Click on “Windows Update“
- Click on “Check for updates“
- Download and install the updates when available.
Turn off Background Apps
Disable windows default services that you don’t use like Cortana maps location and other background services which continuously consumes your RAM and processor. Disabling these apps help your PC get some extra space which enhances the performance of your system. Follow these steps to disable your background apps.
- Go to “Settings“.
- Search for “Background Apps”
- Turn off the background apps.
Use High-Performance Mode
By default, windows use your laptop’s battery in Balanced mode. You can manually change it to High-Performance Mode to boost the performance. In this mode, the optimal battery is used. Follow these steps to set your laptop to High-performance mode.
- Go to “Settings >System > Power & sleep > Additional Power Settings“
- Select “customise a power plan“
- Activate Ultimate Performance Mode.